Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Ebbw Vale 62 Llanharan 11, SWALEC Championship, 08/12/12

Thankfully, after viewing the underperforming primadonnas of the Internationals, we had a return to league rugby this Saturday, with Llanharan the latest victims of a thrashing from Ebbw Vale.

A keenly contested first half saw only a 15-11 interval score, but it was one way traffic in the second half as the fast and powerful Ebbw back line turned on the style.
Llanharan have always fought hard against and we came unstuck against them several times back in the 1990s era of the Heineken league. They scrapped well for the first half for sure, but from 1-15 plus subs Ebbw Vale were simply superb in the second half.

From the Ebbw Vale website:
"On a cold, dry afternoon, Josh Lewis got the scoreboard rolling for the Steelmen with a beautifully struck penalty from half way. Harley Thomson equalised soon after, then alert home scrum half Chris Thomas finished off fine work by the pack following a penalty line out drive. Lewis missed the conversion and, when Ronny Kynes was yellow carded, Llanharan struck back with an excellent try for Morgan Williams on the left. Llanharan took the lead when Thomson added a penalty and it seemed that his side, though depleted by injuries, fancied their chances of an upset. It wasn't to be though: the returning Dan Dearden crashed over to regain the lead for Ebbw and Lewis's conversion sent the Steelmen in 15-11 up.

Ebbw ran riot in the second half to score 47 unanswered points. The magnificent Ronny Kynes got things going with a touchdown following another line out drive, then the always-threatening Adam Jones made a superb break that sliced the Dairymen wide open and scored to secure the bonus point. Slick passing and brilliant support play gave Wes Cunliffe Ebbw's fifth, then Ashley Sweet benefitted from a break by Mathew Williams, who found Robert Sevenoaks in support. It looked as if the popular tight head would reach the line, but when he was hauled down just short, he popped the ball to Sweet who did the rest. Foul play by a Llanharan defender meant that Ebbw were given a penalty on the centre spot at the restart, enabling Lewis to pin the unhappy visitors back once again. Chris Thomas scored his second with a sharp dart from a scrum 15 metres out then Josh Lewis ran great support to bag one of his own. With time running out, full back Charlie Simpson notched up his team's ninth of the afternoon and Josh Lewis goaled it to register 22 points in a Man-of-the-Match performance."



No comments: